Thursday, September 10, 2009

Slow Food USA


A few weeks ago, I decided to put my money where my mouth is and joined Slow Food USA. I had heard bits and pieces about what they do over the years, noticed their logo, viewed blogs of events around the country and the world, but had never been to their web site. I'm not sure what about that particular day that was the catalyst for visiting, but once there, I saw that they shared the same concerns, interests and values that I feel for food and its part in our lives.
Our lives are busy and there are lots of causes, but this one goes to the root of each of our everyday lives. None of use can sustain ourselves or our families without food that is healthful and Slow Food's mission is one that we will all benefit from. Clean, fresh, and fair food.
My concern for healthy food started in the early 1970's, as a teen, when my brother was diagnosed with ADHD. Then it was a new diagnosis and he was enrolled in a study at Standford that I had to drive him to each week (my mom still doesn't drive). The doctor's recommended that he avoid food with preservatives. Since I cooked many of the family meals, reading labels and knowing what was in our food took on a special meaning and a top priority.
Over the years, as I raised my own family (two girls and two boys), while maintaining a career, it has been important for me to create healthy meals, but relying on our food production systems to grow and sell healthy foods has become more challenging than avoiding the snack foods and sugary, chemically, cereals of my children's early cartoon show-influenced days.
If you too have concerns, please check out Slow Foods and the School Lunch program efforts to bring back real food to our schools and children. The schools had real food when I was kid and when my children were in grade school. I believe my grandchildren and your children deserve to have real food at school too. It is possible and some schools are still doing it now and they are saving money as well as providing good, healthy food, but we must do our part too by helping kids learn that healthy food tastes good.
My children were in their twenties before they learned they were deprived of Hamburger Helper. That is my badge of honor. It hasn't always been easy, but as I look back, they were worth it.

No comments: