Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Chicago Gourmet 2009

It was my first year attending the Chicago Gourmet Food Festival and it was wonderful. The food was fabulous. At first I thought there wasn't enough to eat, but two hours later, I was stuffed to the gills and with some of the best food available. At times the lines were long, but the chefs did a nice job in getting people through quickly, but also making time to talk about the food.
I had octopus for the first time (outside of small bites in sushi). This is the Blueprint restaurant cooking Italian Grilled Octopus salad with fresh cranberry beans. This was just a wonderful dish. They explained that the octopus is braised for 3 hours and then grilled. Since they couldn't bring their standard gas grill to the festival, they bought this cast iron grill pan at Crate and Barrel for $32.95 Yeah, it's on my must haves list now or if you're one of my kids, this would make a great gift.
I loved the organic and locavore section and the gazpacho was out of this world. Bright flavors that exploded in your mouth. Can't think of a better version. The cooking seminars were very nicely done and learned more about grass fed beef than I would have every guessed possible. Local personalities were very entertaining, but down to earth. What I love most about Chicago. It's real.

And there was plenty to drink. The wine was wonderful and not just inexpensive stuff, but really nice things and lots to choose from. It was great trying different Malbecs and California cabernets to see the difference. And the cocktails, oh my. Over the top drinks with rock candy garnishes, and smooth whiskey and a wonderful vodka and pear cocktail that was delicious with the duck and pear dish I was tasting. Truly a job well done.
The organizers were everywhere and did a great job managing the event. Nice job at getting the weather to cooperate as well. I flew in early in the day on Sunday for business meetings on Monday to go to the Chicago Gourmet Food Fest and it was well worth the time.

No comments: